Marti's Theories

Thursday, August 31, 2006

What Does It Mean To Be a Romantic?


Every now and then I hear or read something that I first take for granted, but then stop and ask myself:

WTF does that mean, anyway?

Well, I don't actually use acronyms inside my own head but I think you get the idea.

Such was the case yesterday. I was half listening to an interview or something and heard the interviewee say, "Yes, I think so! But then again, I'm a romantic." To be honest, I am not even sure what they were talking about. Anyway, this comment was followed by a little chuckle shared by him and the interviewer, in the way that people do when they think they both get it.

I went about my business.

About an hour later, driving to work, the interview snippet flashed into my head. And I realized - I don't really know what people mean when they say they are a romantic.

I think it's one of those expressions that we ASSUME has a common meaning, but might actually vary greatly, from one person's perspective to another. And it's said here, often, and not always in the context of romance, per se.

So I'm wondering...

Do you consider yourself a romantic?

And if so (or if not) WTF does it mean to you?

I'm not looking for the Webster's definition. I'm just wondering what that term means to you.



Painting: Idealist by Smadar Livne

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home